Wednesday 1 December 2010

Coronation Street Corner Shop Tram Horror And The Famous 1988 Collision...

Phyllis Pearce (Jill Summers), clutching her Tate & Lyle, gives Emily Bishop (Eileen Derbyshire) a right roasting outside the Corner Shop!

Lucy writes:

I've been well stirred-up by the photographs of Corrie's 50th anniversary viaduct catastrophe... admit - it the Corner Shop never saw such drama in the 1980s!

Well, perhaps not. But it did see drama - the terrible confrontation between Phyllis Pearce and Emily Bishop just outside it for instance. With kind-hearted Emily giving a home to Percy Sugden (Bill Waddington), Phyllis went to war - accusing Emily of being after Percy's body!

This was intense - and in fact absolutely searing - drama, which, of course, had many of us on the edge of our seats.

As for seeing more drama during the 50th anniversary shows, I don't think the Corner Shop will see that much. Isn't it quickly wiped out by a tram?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear old Phylllis. She's well out of it. It was another program back then.

Graham said...

"Celebration" and "tram crash" don't really go together in my book. Phil Collinson and all the Corrie viewers who "can't wait" are sad sods indeed.

Drew said...

I must say, I don't like the idea of carnage for the 50th anniversary.

Anonymous said...

I've seen the "taster" and it reminds me of the epic disaster movies of the '70s which were so brilliantly parodied in the '80s. I'll still be watching though - even though I think killing off Ashley Peacock and demolishing the Corner Shop are big mistakes.

Anonymous said...

The imagery was a little odd - the tram seemed to approach the shop from the front at an angle as it hurtled through the air, then was seen rushing towards the side of it on the ground. It was definitely odd. Good episode though - Coronation Street is now brilliant fantasy viewing. I love it. It is different from the '80s, but just as good in its own way.